Closing Function – All Delegates: CTO Sustainable Tourism Awards Presentation 2019
These Awards are aimed at identifying and showcasing Sustainable Tourism Good Practices in the Caribbean. The awards recognize individuals, groups, organizations or companies in any of the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) Member Countries which have developed responsible and unique tourism products or are engaged in implementing sustainable tourism-related initiatives which embrace sustainable tourism concepts and core values. These initiatives should also help to enhance the country’s tourism product offerings and advance sustainable and responsible tourism in the Caribbean.
In the Caribbean, Sustainable Tourism Development is understood as “the optimal use of natural, cultural, social and financial resources for national development on an equitable and self sustaining basis to provide a unique visitor experience and an improved quality of life through partnerships among government, the private sector and communities” (CTO Caribbean Sustainable Tourism Policy Framework, 2008).
Remarks by Cecil McKie, Minister of Tourism, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
1. Excellence in Sustainable Tourism Award
2. Destination Stewardship Award
3. Sustainable Accommodation Award
4. Community Benefit Award
5. Heritage Protection Award
6. Biodiversity Conservation Award
7. Special Agro-Tourism Award in Honor of the CTO Year of Adventure
8. Special “Bridging Islands of Knowledge” Award by Centre of Excellence for the Sustainable Development of SIDS